[Avcheck] Announce: avcheck-0.3

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:01:24 +0400

I just uploaded avcheck-0.3 into

 ftp://ftp.corpit.ru/pub/avpcheck/avcheck-0.3.tar.gz

Note: INCOMPATIBILITY COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS CHANGE was made.

Most important change was introduction of timeout for daemon
operations -- an attempt to implement a workaround for
broken avpdaemon.  This is not a real workaround, -- a message
that can't be checked by a daemon will sit in queue and
will be retried again and again, with the same effect...
But at least one will be able to notice this process and
save a message somehow...  Ugly like a hell, but I can't
think of any other better solution.

Command line options was changed because of:

 a timeout was introduced - a good candidate for -t option
  that was already used.

 -s (av socket) option can be easily "overloaded" with "protocol
  name" -- instead of having
    -t avp -s /var/spool/avp/ctl/AvpCtl
  it is simpler and shorter to have
    -s avp:/var/spool/avp/ctl/AvpCtl
  or
    -s drweb:localhost:3000
  so both -s and -t as them was before seems to be redundrand
  (why I not figured this before?? ;)

I'm sorry for this change, and I don't expect any other such
changes in the future.  Note that I changed avcheck's exit code
to EX_TEMPFAIL in *all* non-successeful cases, including ones
where it previously exited with EX_USAGE (i.e. command-line
options parsing) -- so it will not bounce mails even in case
you will forget to change main.cf settings.

Other changes include:

 added signal handlers to both avcheck and example infected scripts --
  it is now safe to interrupt process, and it will clean up temp
  file(s).  Postfix sends SIGKILL when command_time_limit exceeded.

 addition of README.AVP -- instruction of setting up kavdaemon in
  chroot environment, derived from Ralf's HOWTO.  Still needs some
  more work, but usable as it is now.

 some minor tweaks in scripts ("$@" => "$SENDER" typo change)

 infected.ex2 now built from template and language files, so
  there are infected.ex2.de, infected.ex2.pl etc now. ;)

Due to limited time, I can't incorporate other stuff now, I'm sorry
for this.  Next release will contain more examples, some startup
scripts and actually tested drweb support (I'm enouth with avp and
switching to drweb).