[Avcheck] Feature request

Juri Haberland haberland@altus.de
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:27:52 +0200

Michael Tokarev wrote:

> Juri Haberland wrote:
> >
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I have a feature request:
> > What I would like to have in avcheck is that it can detect whether the
> > mail was coming from a mailing list and if so, it will not send back a
> > message to the list, list-maintainer or original sender.
>
> The main question is: how you can determine if a message is from a mailinglist?
> There is no standard way of doing this.

Actually, I got my idea from a qmail av-script. There it is done by looking for special headers, like:
x-loop, x-listname, x-listmember, mailing-list, precedence=(bulk|list|junk)
and so on.

> If you know (from) addresses a mailinglist uses, then go to infected.ex2
> example, search for "MAILER-DAEMON" case, and add the ML address into there.
> For example, if your ML uses return address list@example.com, infected.ex2
> will look like:

[ $SENDER examples snipped ]

> I separated detection and infected handling into two distinct pieces
> especially for this purpose: one can easily customize things of his
> taste/needs/requiriments.

How "expensive" (in terms of computing power) would it be to grep for those headers in every rejected mail?
(I think I will try to implement this soon.)

Juri

     then each of us still has one object.
     then each of us now has two ideas.