[Avcheck] Avp update hourly

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:10:21 +0400

Tarjei Huse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm one of many being saved by avcheck.
>
> According to the howto hosted here
> http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/postfix/, theres a perlscript that checks
> for new bases every hour and updates the bases dir and restarts the daemon. But,
> the text under is only a small sh script that I cannot see restarts the daemon.
> Would someone like to post the perlscript?
>
> (or is it refering to the sh script underneath? )

I think that it is a perlscript from Kaspersky that does
updates (should be included into kav distro).  And there
should be a shell script that calls their perl script to
fetch updates, and then restarts kavdaemon.  You should
already have startup script that executes from /etc/rc...
at system startup time -- one-line "glue" inside a cron
job should do other work, something like this:

10 * * * * /kav/scripts/update.pl && /etc/init.d/avpd restart

This is an example only, just to show an "idea".  Note that
a) real paths should be used and b) one need to deal with
return codes and output from the above scripts -- cron will
send any output from cronjob by email.  And note also that
almost all kaspersky products *not* uses proper return codes --
it is usually impossible to tell if an operation succeded or
failed...  For this reason I for example never tried to
do automatic updates of kav's virusbases -- while updating
manually is painful, but at least I can guarantee that
nothing will be bad (I always verified if kavdaemon worked
after update on another machine before propagating this
update to main mailserver).

BTW, is it useful to update hourly?  As long as I can tell,
Kaspersky updates their virusbases once per day or so...