[Avcheck] postfix & avcheck & mailman - Off subject

Piotr Klaban poczta@klaban.torun.pl
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:30:24 +0200

This is not about mailman, but about LISTSERV (by LSoft).
By the way - if anyone is interested in it:

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 12:59:03PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> Uh, this was the default for my mailman / postfix/ avcheck setup. Are
> you sure avcheck scans mail to multiple recipients multiple times?
>
> 1) The mail comes in with one recipient (the list) and is scanned ONCE
> 2) mailman sends the mail to the list memeber via Postfix, using an
>    injection methood that is NOT subject to virus scanning.

LISTSERV sends messages via SMTP connection (then, according to
the postfix structure, it should be faster than injection method).

Then in theory messages are checked twice, but it is good method
here, because LISTSERV servers are connected with each other
with the special LISTSREV protocol, and some messages are
coded and sent to e.g. one Polish server, and messages to Polish
users are distributed by the Polish LISTSERV server.
Then one LISTSERV can send to the other LISTSERV server
message that any avp program would not recognize. LISTSERV
then decodes that message and send it to "local" users.
That is why it is good to check that messages after LISTSERV
it decodes.

But as I said this is not connected to the subject, just the
good reason for checking messages twice.

Piotr Klaban