[Avcheck] postfix & avcheck & mailman

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:38:32 +0200

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 01:30:47PM +0200, Tarjei Huse wrote:

> > 1) The mail comes in with one recipient (the list) and is scanned ONCE
> > 2) mailman sends the mail to the list memeber via Postfix, using an
> >    injection methood that is NOT subject to virus scanning.

> ??? What injection method is that? I though mailman just did a smtp connection
> to postfix.

Aha! With the avcheck setup, one has two SMTP listeners:

One on Port 25, where mail is scanned for viruses
One on localhost, Port 1025 where mail is NOT filtered. So inject the mail
there, to localhost Port 1025!

> Ok, do you have any other tips to tuning postfix?

Yes:

a) setup a caching DNS -- dnscache is a cool tool, small, fast, secure:
   http://cr.yp.to/djbdns .
b) use nqmgr instead of qmgr (only with a postfix snapshot)
c) Make both Postfix and Mailman use the same limit for the maximum number
   of recipients a mail can have:

smtpd_recipient_limit = 1000

duplicate_filter_limit = 1000
# should be high as well

default_process_limit = 50
# can be raised to allow more smtp processes for sending

# can be raised if you have lots of mail to the same destinations

--
Ralf Hildebrandt                            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155
                                            Fax.  +49 (0)30-450 570-916