[Avcheck] infected is sick?

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:24:39 +0300

Len Conrad wrote:

[]
> We will put this box into production as soon as "infected" stops sending
> the entire infected msg back to envelope sender.

It should be done easily enouth if you can change the script (sending
back only headers as in recipient notification).  But are you shure you
need this?  For many viruses today it's a virus who sent a message, not
a human.  So sender typically have no knowlege that his machine sent out
viruses.  When he can view the whole message he can do or know more than
for headers (at least if he has a clue what viruses are).  Moreover,
most infected messages will be sent using standard way (as a MUA configured),
typically via the gateway that will handle virus properly, and not direct
to the destination machine.  If a virus on my machine will send a mail to
you, it will send it to our gateway, not directly to your machine.  I.e.
the test you did setting up Eudora to send directly will not be a case
in a real-life situation.