[Avcheck] Building avcheck with dietlibc

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:52:12 +0100

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:41:38PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> > [root@hauptpostamt avcheck-0.6]# diet gcc -o avcheck -O2 -Wall -DVERSION=\"0.6\" avcheck.c [ -f /usr/lib/libsocket.so ] && echo
> > -lsocket -lnsl
>
> Oh oh, another usage of dietlibc... ;)

Yup. Felix is habing a look at avcheck, because he wants to add caching.
But don't expect it too early, cause he'll be leaving for Oslo
tomorrow and will be back God knows when...

> There is no need to use snprintf here -- effect will be just the same.
> BTW, on old solarises there was no snprintf.  Both avcheck and avp/drweb
> should run on such systems.

Yup.

> > /tmp/cc3jrOv7.o: In function tcpsock':
> > /tmp/cc3jrOv7.o(.text+0x2c8): warning: gethostbyname() leaks memory. Use gethostbyname_r instead!
>
> Not all systems has gethostbyname_r as well.  Yes, gethostbyname leaks memory
> in dietlibc.  But this isn't a problem: one or two calls per invocation (one
> for -S host:port and another may be used for drweb:host:port) is ok.

I noticed. hauptpostamt doesn't have it, but my local Debian box has
it. Must depend on the libc used...

> BTW, on my system, no linker warnings produced.  dietlibc-0.14,
> binutils-2.11.92.0.12, gcc-3.1-pre.  But maybe I missed something
> when installed dietlibc (in fact it's very probably).

No. My system is an old RH 7.0 or 7.1 unfortunately.

> I see no single point to worry...  Oh well, if the goal is to really make
> avcheck very tiny -- but there are other ways for such optimizations... ;)

I updated to 0.8 here today, after I installed it a customer's. It
still works.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V A)   Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite Campus Virchow-Klinikum                 Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155