[Avcheck] avcache announcement

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:17:34 +0300

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> While on the train from Chemnitz to Berlin, avcache was written &
> tested.
>
> http://www.fefe.de/avcache/
>
> Check it out. I have yet to install it on our mailservers.

...when your MTA current pipes email through /bin/content-scanner -x fnord,
change that to avcache /bin/content-scanner -x fnord...

So this program seems to be doing just this: it saves message somewhere,
calculates checksum, queries/updates the cache and calls real virusscanner
if the message is new.  Yes?  Note ths "saves message somewhere" part.  For
this, I think it will be best to avoid extra save op, if avcheck will have
an option to use already saved message (i.e. -F /file/name).

I'll look to this shortly (this week) -- don't blame me now, I'm very busy... ;)

BTW, Maciej Uhlig tried avcheck with sophie, and it works!  But I thought he
will tell us more details.  I'll update docs/whatether for new release.  Eh,
what version number it should has?  0.9?  Or 0.81?  There is only one number
left before 1.0... ;)

P.S.  And I'm currently testing some local mailman changes (delivery mode
etc) -- should not affect anyone but list maybe in non-working stage for
a short period of time.