[Avcheck] avcache announcement

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:09:47 +0100

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 07:04:45PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> My question remains:  WHY this is needed?  Why someone may want to
> infect you this way?  If this bad guy *want* to infect my computer,
> there are far better ways to do so -- e.g. sending password-protected
> "Windows Security Update" ("this update was protected by a password
> "secret" in order to ensure it's integrity" -- typical luser will
> belive this), or directing browser to infected website, etc etc etc.
> It's impractical to determine how mail antivirus software works in
> this case.

It should be secure by design: It easy to forge a Message-Id:, but
it's hard to create a md5 checksum collision.

> This is a reason to NOT treat any "X-AV-State: clean" or the like header
> in the email, since once this practice becomes common, viruses will use
> it as well.  But the point is *common*, i.e. common enouth that someone
> will actually want to use such "defect" in virus protection system.

I bet they will. In fact, I HOPE they will!

> Maybe someone will write a virus specially for one organization...

Like the government, which would suck big time. I wouldn't like to be
found with concrete boots on the bottom of the Atlantic.

> BTW, with avcache, virusscanning process may be slowed down as well as
> speeded up.  Speedup will be in rare cases, usually this will be slowdown
> (additional unnecessary md5sums, that is).

Correct. We have to try and see how it performs.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V A)   Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite Campus Virchow-Klinikum                 Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155