[Avcheck] Pre-announce: avcheck-0.9

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:53:53 +0400

I plan to release new version (with fixes), finally.

There is no support for sendmail, and I can't find anyone
who can help here.  For now, I just placed a note into
README.Sendmail saying that avcheck+sendmail is unsupported.
The only clean way to plug AV software into sendmail is
to use milter interface.  There is no big trouble to add
milter support into avcheck (but in this case some more
docs should be written and there will be problems building
it, since sendmail sources (headers) will be required), but
I personally have no interest in doing that.

I can't reproduce problem seen with recent AVP versions,
when avcheck does not receive virus names from kavdaemon
(simptom is that `infected' handler uses "Infected by a
virus" message in all virus alerts mails).  Please contact
me if this problem is still here.

I can't reproduce bad behaviour of avcheck+drwebd seen by
Ady (Drweb for busy mailservers discussion in private) either.
Our big server constantly checked my 23,000+ msgs postfix-users
archive for more than 4 days in different modes, all goes
well.  I changed single write() call to another routine that
is prepared for half-writes (when write() writes less data
than it was requested), but I don't think this will help
(avcheck writes ~25 bytes to drweb socket, write() should
not return before writing all 25 bytes even on a busy machine).

For now, changes are:

- fix long-standing bug with -h option (it was treated as
 request for help instead of as request to add a line to
 a message)

- some more avp return codes are recognized, to simplify
 problem diagnostics

- treat timeout/too_big/too_compressed DrWebd's codes
 the same as if the mail was infected, with message
 "Message is too complex, possible mailbomb"

- Italian translation of infected.ex2, Marco Bracaglia
 (I've reformatted text a bit to use less characters per
 line)

- "out-of-the-box" "support" for klez virus(es) (do not
 send sender virus notifications)

- added example code to infected.ex2 to have several
  per-recipient-domain administrator addresses

- added German TeX documentation by Ralf Hildebrandt

- some other misc fixes/tweaks

Please email me if there was something else I forgot... ;)