[Avcheck] KavDaemon operation not permitted

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:51:35 +0400

Morten Christensen wrote:

> Not sure, this is the right place to ask.
>
> SuSE 8.0 install with Postfix. I have tried to setup
> Avcheck (0.70 and 0.90pre) with Kavdaemon 4.0.1.0
> chrooted.
>
> Avchecks rc.avpd-script is set to boot in runlevel 5.
> It gives this boot-message:
>
> ------>begin<-----
> switching to runlevel 5:
> Starting AVP Daemon:
> uchroot: unable to execute /kavdaemon: Operation not permitted
>
> <notice>'/etc/init.d/rc5.d/S01avpd start' exits with status 1
> ------<end>-----
>
> When I run the avpd script manually after boot, AVP Daemon
> starts.

This one looks odd.  Maybe your spool directory is mounted noexec?
But in this case I fail to see how you can start it manually.

> My mail-system works, but I do not think, it is doing any
> virus-scanning.

Try executing avcheck manually with a known virus in input, as
described in readme files.

> I cannot get any logging from avcheck or avp daemon.

You may enable logging from kavdaemon.  Avcheck "logs" all
problematic situations via postfix's (postfix logs stderr
of any extrenal program it executes if a program terminated
with non-0 exit code).

If you can find in logs that postfix calls avcheck, all should
be fine (except of startup script problem).  Avcheck always
defers a message in case of any problem, so you should see
something in logs when something goes wrong.

Again, try to send yourself a known virus (eicar.msg is a good
candidate for this).

> Btw. I am unsure, my AVP licens-key is right. It says
> Exp.date 30.12.2003 Trial No
> Full version, Unlimited mail box and 0 traffic licenses

Oh ma, they included "traffic license" too?! Mailbox license?!
Oh well... :)

/mjt