[Avcheck] a way to circumvent checks by AVP

Juri Haberland haberland@altus.de
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:34:23 +0200

Hi guys,

I just found a way to not only circumvent Postfix' body-checks to reject
executables but also to prevent AVP to recognize a virus!
And of course Outlook is involved :(

If you tell Outlook to send emails RTF-formatted it will put the RTF
stuff into an attachement called winmail.dat. So far so good.
If you attach a file to this mail, it will be embeded in this
RTF-document, therefor hidden in the winmail.dat. You see, no
attachement with a .exe at the end, so no chance to catch it via
Postfix' body-checks.
But what's even worse: AVP doesn't recognize this either. I could
successfully send the eicar.com-test-virus this way...

Maybe someone can check this with other AV-scanners like Dr.Web or Sophos.

Cheers,
Juri

     then each of us still has one object.
     then each of us now has two ideas.