[Avcheck] AVP-Key Syntax (Linux)

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 04:00:50 +0400

Marcus Fleige wrote:
> hi michael,
>

>>So why don't you ask your distributor?!  That's his task
>>at the end, and should be easy.
>

> right! i already tried, but a the support employee told me was,
> that he also got the infos by mail in the format he forwarded me.
> thats my trouble! i also tried to contact kaspersky support, sending
> them my reg info for a new key file (that service is announced on
> theri webpage). but i still did not get an answer from there... :-(

Ahh...  That's quite unfortunate.  But you got what you're paid for.
Please don't take me wrong here (and this is my only opinion - maybe
someone from this list will help you but I doubt - see reason below).

Kaspersky folks refused my help when I wanted to write my own unix
part (their was flaky and still is) and educate them.  They refused
to accept their own bugs, esp. design bugs.  They refused to get
my and others help to improve documentation (that was a real mess,
I don't know how it is now).  All this was motivated that "all is
working well already, and we can do all ourselvs".  I was blamed
badly (i.e. incompetent etc) for my proposals.  And so on.  After
all this, I helped several folks to work around various problems
with KAV - this is a task of their support or packagers/programmers
(who can't wrote normal software and documentation), not mine, but
neverless folks asked ME, not their support (perhaps after trying
support without a luck).  Oh well..

(Oh, about two years was gone since that story, but I still dislike
Kaspersky folks, and their policy is still the same anyway).

Think of Microsoft products, where you should pay for a phone call
that is required if you'll upgrade your hardware (because modern
OS will refuse to work on hardware that is different from one where
you installed it initially - due to anti-piracy policy).  Marketing
is great, just like the number of bugs etc, and M$ knows better what
a user needs.  No, thank you very much, I'll go elsewhere.

But I'll give you a hint anyway.  KAV's keys, as longs as I remember,
aren't text files but *binary* files, and CANNOT be sent as plaintext
and edited manually.  I don't know format of those files.  But I think
that even if you'll get what you asked for here, that will be useless
for you.  Note: this is an anti-piracy protection, so it should be
relatively difficult to non-professional to break it (while it's
just trivial for pirates - search for "kav key" or smth similar
at google, you'll find quite a few hints).

Please excuse me for my quite not good mood today... :)

/mjt