[Avcheck] port 1025: Address already in use

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:30:16 +0300

Johan de Vries wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to setup avcheck on one of my machines
> When i startup postfix I get the following error:
>
> postfix/master[15359]: fatal: bind 127.0.0.1 port 1025: Address already in
> use
>
> The config in master.cf is:
>
> localhost:1025  inet n  -       n       -       -       smtpd -o
> content_filter=
> avcheck   unix  -       n       n       -       5       pipe
>         flags=q user=avclient argv=/var/spool/avp/avcheck
>         -d /var/spool/avp/./tst -s AVP:/var/spool/avp/ctl/AvpCtl
>         -f ${sender} -S :1025 -- ${recipient}
>
> Port 1025 is not defined in /etc/services
>
> Is there a way to check where port 1025 is in use ?
> Are there suggestions what might be wrong ?

In order to determine which program using a port, try - on linux,
  netstat -p (other options)
or on any system, lsof.

Port 1025 is the first available non-privileged port.  Whenever an
application request connection _to_ somewhere, by default, OS
uses first available non-privileged _local_ port for the local
side of the connection, thus it's a high chance for this port
to be in use after system startup.  I recommend to use other port -
in READMEs I thought I changed 1025 to 10025 already, but I'll
check this.  This was my fault to recommend 1025 in READMEs.

And please excuse me for brOken avcheck mailinglist - I don't
know how much time it was broken - the problem is that mailman
was unable to connect to SMTP server.  Now it's fixed.

/mjt