[Avcheck] Re: Adding KAV 5 support into your last avcheck.c edition

Michael Tokarev abuse at corpit.ru
Fri Oct 15 17:43:24 MSD 2004

Piotr Klaban wrote:
> Unfortunately after a few e-mails I could not get the client-server
> protocol document for KAV 5.0. It is secret now, and is not available
> to the public. They do not want to give it to me. That is why it is
> unpossible to add KAV 5.x support to avcheck now.

As I see it, they want to disallow open usage of their products,
because their own mail scanning solution provides some accounting
about "mailboxes in use" -- you pay for KAV for number of mailboxes
or domains, the more domains you want, the more you should pay.
Thus the protocol is not public ("traditionally" avcheck did not
have the per-mailbox/domain restriction, for obvious reasons
(last but not least it knows nothing about a way how to ask the
daemon about the license limits), thus "circumventing" the
restriction -- think DMCA...)

/mjt