[rbldnsd] question of efficiency

Robin Lynn Frank rlfrank at paradigm-omega.com
Mon Jan 24 19:46:26 MSK 2005

David Landgren wrote:
> Robin Lynn Frank wrote:
>
>> David Landgren wrote:
>>
>>> Robin Lynn Frank wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>

>>> Not Found
>>> The requested URL /cgi-bin/custmail.cgi was not found on this server.
>>>
>> Seems I blew up our local DNS :-(  Or our security director is playing
>> games again.  Bet that error page claimed our apache 2.x server was
>> MS/IIS 5.0, didn't it? ;-)
>

> Not quite:
>
> Apache/1.3.31 Server at parkweb01.secureserver.net Port 80
Thank you for pointing out where things were going to.  My !@#$%@
provider has been monkeying with our DNS again.

>> What you didn't see was infinite pages of (sorry for the line wraps):
>> This is a list of null-route.merseine.nu customer email addresses. It is
>> confidential and completely bogus.
>> None of these addresses are legitimate.
>

> yeah I figured that. One of these days in my copious spare time I'll
> write my own just for fun. Until then, I like watching how other people
> do it, to see if there are any social engineering tricks to employ that
> might trip up a spammer.

I had thought of making it look more like a directory of a myriad of
offices, but since use of any of those addresses triggers a script that
blocks the IP and /24 of whoever sends mail to them, I figured there
were too many people who would not read whatever disclaimer we added to
keep them from doing so.

> If I may be so bold, I would suggest that the @null-route.x.y subdomain
> used in the addresses really gives the game away.

Spam-bots are pretty dumb.  We watched one go thru 119 pages before we
aimed it at labrea. ;-)

--
Robin Lynn Frank - Director of Operations - Paradigm-Omega, LLC
Website:   http://www.paradigm-omega.com/