[rbldnsd] enhanced dnset

Sami Farin safari-rbldnsd at safari.iki.fi
Sat Nov 26 00:24:38 MSK 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 03:12:26PM +1300, amos at treenetnz.com wrote:
> > one feature I am going to add into rbldnsd is PCRE or similar
> > support into dnset (probably dstype named as "dnsetenh" or something).
> > if you don't want to give TXT record, use
> > dls.net :\d{1,3}-\d{1,3}-\d{1,3}-\d{1,3}\.dls\.net
> > (PCRE pattern is always the latest field delimeted by ':').
> >
> > Does this sound sane?
> > Free tips'n'tricks?

> It sounds like you are just wanting to complicate the '.dls.net' pattern
> already existing in rbldnsd. You will need to give some thought to whether
> it is better to simply use:
> ..dls.net   bad example
> !www.dls.net
> !.dyn.dls.net

The problem with this approach is that sometimes it's no fun
trying to find all of the "non-generic" PTRs for a domain,
or even the ISP's "outgoing" SMTP client's PTRs.
It might work for some cases, but not for many.
And you also would need to update the list constantly.

> If you are intent on going ahead with this. You would be best keeping
> compatible with the file format and naming conventions used by the other
> sets. That is to have the set name like pcreset, and the file format of:
> <pattern> ((:code:)? txt)?
>
> You could as or more easily hold the <pattern> alternates in a dictionary
> tree and match down a branch in a single operation as doing it twice (base
> name search, then pattern confirmation search) and that will remove the
> unusual format of two patterns in each line.

Hmm I think I know what you mean.

> watch out for the infinite wildcard patterns though.

Should be easy to avoid, and I guess I can modify MATCH_LIMIT
in pcre's config.h to smaller number...