[rbldnsd] regular expression support for rbldnsd

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Wed Aug 12 23:15:46 MSD 2009

on Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:58:50AM -0700, Scott Haneda wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Per Jessen wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting idea.  We have a list of such patterns which is evaluated by
>>> Postfix.  I can't immediately see if a DNS-based solution instead would
>>> improve things.
>>
>> The benefit is centralized management of the regex's and a plug-in
>> standard (DNSBL query) that just about everything supports.
>
> Do you have rough performance stats, as queries per second with regex
> enabled, and without?  I think you mentioned 40k/s, but I assume that was
> with regex enabled.  Any idea what you get on the same test setup if you
> remove the regex from the build entirely?

Nothing recent, no, I'd need to build out a stock rbldnsd, prep the zones
for testing w/IPs known to be on an IP-only list, etc. Let me see what I
can come up with. If it's any comfort, you'd only enable the rebl stuff
on specific subdomains, and it's not a matter of testing the input to see
if it's an IP or a helo/ptr before deciding what lookups to run.

More in a bit,
Steve

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/