Library provides caching

Michael Tokarev mjt at corpit.ru
Fri Jun 25 15:46:47 MSD 2010

pramod b wrote:
> Hi
> Is the library provides caching of the DNS query or application needs to
> retry after a specific time out?

There's no such library as far as I know.
Besides, I don't think it's ever needed, at leas in a common case:
a roundtrip to your local nameserver cache is quite cheap, and that
one already has large cache with proper aging controls not only for
a single program but probably for larger set of clients.  If that's
too much still, it's easy to install local caching nameserver (use
for example unbound for this).

> Is the appln need s to set the time value for the request?

I'm not sure I follow.  The interface is described in the manpage
and header file.  Nothing must be done besides that.

/mjt