Question about integrating udns in Ruby EventMachine

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Tue Feb 1 13:42:20 MSK 2011

2011/2/1 Michael Tokarev <mjt at tls.msk.ru>:
>> I don't know if this idea makes sense. Does it? For it, it would be
>> required that udns lets me to access its file descriptor instead of
>> udns directly managing it.
>
> ..but this part - I don't understand it.  Why do you want to "stole"
> a filedescriptor from udns, why notify_readable() can't call udns
> routine directly?

I meant that I need the file descriptor (maybe just the file
descriptor number) to give it to EventMachine so it attachs it in the
reactor and performs non blocking read on it.
Maybe I miss something. If not, is it possible to get a pointer to the
file descriptor used by udns? or maybe just the file descriptor
number? (an integer I epect).

> Also, don't forget about timeouts (timers).

Yes, I don't know yet about udns. In async mode, how would the
application be notified when a timeout occurs? perhaps a callback is
then called?

Thanks a lot for your response.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo