compiling (and installing) UDNS from source fails

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Feb 8 10:35:10 MSK 2011

[Cc'd the mailing list]

08.02.2011 09:24, Dennis Reiff wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I have problems installing UDNS after compiling from source. I am
> running here on a Debian Lenny (*) and tried a simple ./configure, make
> and make install. The latter fails with:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
>
> Therefor I have problems compiling jabberd2 from source (**) which
> depends on it. Can you give me a hint on how/where to install UDNS after
> compilation?

There are 3 components (or 5 if you use shared lib):

 the header file (development): udns.h - this goes into /usr/include
 the manpage (development): udns.3 - this goes into /usr/share/man/man3/
 the library itself (development): libudns.a, /usr/lib/
 the shared library: libudns.so.0 - /usr/lib/
 link to shared library (development): libudns.so - /usr/lib/

That's all.  If you don't use shared library there's no need
to copy anything at all into the target system (deployment).

You may also want to put dnsget and rblcheck somewhere (with the
manpages) if you use them - maybe linking them with the shared
library.

I thought this is where the packaging will be used - distribution
and operating-system specific wrapper - like rpm, or deb, or
solaris pkg...

Thanks.

/mjt