udns returns DNS_E_NXDOMAIN when domain exists but SRV records does not exist

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Mon Jun 20 19:25:55 MSD 2011

Hi, the domain kamailio.org does exist and has a DNS A record
associated (193.22.119.66). But it has no SRV records.

Then using udns I query SRV for _sip._udp.kamailio.org, which means
service=sip, protocol=udp and domain=kamailio.org.

udns replies DNS_E_NXDOMAIN. This is incorrect, as the domain is not
the whole "_sip._udp.kamailio.org" but just "kamailio.org". The prefix
"_sip._udp" is just a way to tell the DNS which kind of SRV record we
want. In fact, "_" is not allowed in a real domain.

So udns should reply DNS_E_NODATA rather than DNS_E_NXDOMAIN.

If for example I query DNS SRV for _sip._udp.non-existing-domain.com
then DNS_E_NXDOMAIN should be the correct response as domain
"non-existing-domain.com" does not exist.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>