[Avcheck] Archives restored and reorganized

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 05:43:10 +0300

I've noticied there where no avcheck mailinglist archives since
October-2002.  About 2 hours was needed to figure out what's wrong.

The problem was that, when I switched to execute mailman programs
using dedicated pipe transport in postfix, I didn't enabled F flag
(insert unix From_ line) - just because I was sure that, since
mailman handles one message at a time, it does not need that (in
fact, I just didn't thought about that - unnecessarity of From_
was so obvious ;).  Well, things are more interesting (and mailman
is somewhat dumb): when a posting arrives, mailman writes it to
the archive mailbox (in mailbox format), _without_ checking for
or appending of a unix From_ line (but it adds it's own headers).
This way, mailbox isnt' a mailbox anymore!

Ok, so I learned vim a bit, to be able to construct From_ line from
the topmost Received: line, restored the mailbox and reindexed it,
and archives are working now (consider this message is a test for
thaat).

Also, I changed archive generation from mounthly to quartery
shedule - as this list if low volume (and I don't expect it to
grow significantly), 3-months shedule is more appropriate.
Together with some bits of fun from apache's mod_rewrite, it
seems all old links are working, so e.g. google, and other
references will work as usual, and I don't plan to change that,
at least soon.

There are some pending questions about avcheck - hopefully, I'll
do something with that in next few days.  It seems folks started
to write to me directly after that situation with broken archiver.
Funny that noone noticied the problem - I noticied it by a chance.

BTW, can anyone suggest me what's wrong with the archives - I can't
convince mailman to hide email addresses in archive html pages.
What I mean is - e.g., on this page (different mailinglist),
http://www.corpit.ru/pipermail/proxycheck/2003q1/000010.html ,
sender's address is substituted with list's address, but with
all avcheck's archives, sender address is keept intact.  Well,
proxycheck sets Reply-To to the list, while avcheck doesn't -
may this be a cause?  At best, this looks strange...

Thanks.

/mjt