[Avcheck] Starting problems

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 00:57:01 +0400

Fridtjof Busse wrote:

> Hi
> I have problems with starting avcheck (and also avpcheck).
> I'm using KAV, and all entries in the master.cf and main.cf are
> absolutly correct (checked everything twice and also tried a copy of
> Ralf's system.
> The problem seems to be with the antivirusdaemon. I start it with
> /usr/bin/env - HOME=/ \
>
> /var/spool/avp/uchroot -u avpd /var/spool/avp \
>
> ./kavdaemon -dl -MD -MP -dp -V -* -f=/ctl /tst
>
> (Script from Ralf)

Note that you added extra newlines.  I assume it is cut-n-paste
error.

This is definitely a problem with kavdaemon itself, not with postfix
or whatether.  Hmmm...  This beast, kavdaemon/AvpDaemon, always
does something strange... ;) -- and this is why I chrooted it
at a first place, adding more troubles.

What it reports on screen at startup? Is it evaluation version or
not (evaluation kavdaemon will NOT check mail!)?  Here is output
from "my" evaluation version of AvpDaemon:

|  AntiViral Toolkit Pro by Eugene Kaspersky for Linux  |
|                        (Daemon)                       |
|         Copyright(C) Kaspersky Lab. 1998-2001         |
|                Version 3.0  build 135.3               |
|                                                       |
                   Registration info:
Key name      Ser. number            Price pos.             Exp. date  Trial

AVP Key is not loaded or your AVP license was expiried. Program can work as demo.

Continue scan process?
 (Yes/No)

Antiviral databases were loaded. Known records: 47531

kavdaemon have almost the same "startup screen".  For
full, non-evaluation version, you will not see "AVP Key is not.."
and "Continue scan..." messages, obviously.

> The daemons seems to start correctly (no errors) but doesn't appear in
> the ps ax list, so I think that is the reason why I get
>
> to=<fridjtof.busse@gmx.de>, relay=avcheck, delay=0, status=deferred
> (temporary failure. Command output: avcheck: unable to connect to
> antivirus daemon: No such file or directory)

Yes exactly -- it wasn't started, and avcheck can't contact with it.

Please try adding strace to the game, and watch it's output:

 /usr/bin/env - HOME=/ \
  /usr/bin/strace -f -o /tmp/avpd.strace \
  /var/spool/avp/uchroot -u avpd /var/spool/avp \
  ./kavdaemon -dl -MD -MP -dp -V -* -f=/ctl /tst

Then look to /tmp/avpd.strace, near it's end, and
search backward for any errors.  I think you will
be able to figure out what it is missing...  If
not, send your strace to me (gzipped please!) or
place to ftp/www and send a url -- I will be able
to find w that's wrong (I hope)...

Strace is a *great* tool.