[Avcheck] Re: avpcheck breeds messages

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:51:47 +0400

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> [This message has also been posted.]
> On 14 Aug 2001 05:39:41 +0200, Vadim Shamray <vader@opsb.ru> wrote:
[]
> > postfix-20010228.2 from ports
> > avpcheck marked "Wed Jul 25 2001 Michael Tokarev"
> >                 "Wed Jul 11 2001 Ralf Hildebrandt"
> > avp for freebsd 3.0 build 135.2 enabled/registered/licensed/other stuff
> >
> > changes in master.cf:
> > smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -o content_filter=filter:dummy
>
> filter:dummy?  I use just filter

This is irrelevant, really.

[]
> > Aug 10 02:56:03 somehost postfix/pipe[1240]: DEB8ED90B3: to=<someuser@opsb.ru>, relay=filter, delay=209509, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: avpcheck: unable to write mail stream: Broken pipe )

Please look to this queue file:
 postcat /var/spool/postfix/deferred/*/DEB8ED90B3 | more
-- it should contain a line with a single dot (.)
> > mail remains in queue, postfix+avpcheck continues to generate such a message.
> > after some time someuser gets about 50 copies of message in his box.
No, only partial copies, all lines before that "one-dot-line".

> I think you should try a recent version of both avpcheck and
> AVPdaemon.Cc: to the list.

This is a historical bug I discovered yesterday, but forgot to add it to
ChangeLog.  av(p)check should use `-i' argument when calling real
sendmail.  Only avcheck-0.2 contains this fix.  I'm afraid you need
to drop avpcheck for now and use avcheck, or just switch to use smtp
(-Shost:port) -- last one is faster anyway.

AvpDaemon is not an issue here, it's not it's bug.

That bug exists because some time ago postfix's sendmail command
didn't have -i option at all (even FILTER_README was corrected
very recently), and I used my tiny smtp client "msendmail" that
hasn't it either.

If you don't know, -i stands for "do not treat line that contains
a single dot as end of a message" -- i.e. do not use "hidden dot
algorithm" on *input* (ugly like a hell but sendmail does this!).

BTW, we need to correct all the docs etc to be current.
Ralf, can I "stole" your HOWTO and include it into package with
proper corrections?