[Avcheck] what if avp hangs

Piotr Klaban makler+avcheck@man.torun.pl
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:07:13 +0200

Hi,

Do you have any solution at your sites for the situation,
when AVP (or drweb etc.) hangs? I have found one file,
that causes AVP child process exits with SIGBUS.
This is development avp release and I have contacted the
right man. But the problem exists - avcheck waits for the reply,
and is stopped with the message:

deferred (Command time limit exceeded: "/var/spool/avp/avcheck")

deferred (temporary failure. Command output: avcheck: \
 unable to connect to antivirus daemon: No such file or directory )

Resterting avp and issuing 'postfix flush' does not help because
the problemmatic message is sent again to the avcheck/avp
and hangs the viruscheck process again.

I see the following solutions:

- 2 or more AVP daemons (redundacy), something like
  several databases in e.g. postfix' mysql.cf file;
- avp sources would be altered, avcheck would
  know that something is wrong with AVP checking phase,
  then mail should be dropped/copied with message,
  that mail could not be parsed by avp;

--
Piotr Klaban