[Avcheck] avcheck and drweb

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Fri, 16 May 2003 17:10:54 +0400

Sergey Akhapkin wrote:
> Hello Mindaugas,
>
> Friday, May 16, 2003, 3:54:56 PM, you wrote:
>
> MR>   Now we are considering adding virus checking to
> MR> our mail server. For antivirus software we are
> MR> considering DrWeb. Support in http://forum.drweb.ru/unix/
> MR> looks impressive and price and pricing policy
> MR> seems very acceptable.
>
> MR>   So a bit stupid question :). What additional
> MR> features avcheck would give us? If we'd use it
> MR> instead of drweb-postfix?
>
> IMHO:
>
> 1) CONTRA: avcheck faster that drweb-postfix:
>   - drweb-postfix is loaded at each message
>   - avcheck is loaded one time during system start

Avcheck isn't loaded once, it is called for every
message just like drweb-postfix.  Indeed, avcheck
is very small program, so startup time is almost
zero.

> 2) PRO: drweb-postfix has some useful features:
>   - users list (who should be checked)
>   - blocking notifications to some addresses (for example only to
>     local users)
>   - blocking notifications by virus name (extremely useful against
>     Klez and others Mass Mail Worms which fakes addresses)
>   - and more, more ...

Yes, this is done in drweb-postfix in easier way than in avcheck.
In avcheck, every email is checked first, and for ones that didn't
pass, special handler is when executed.  Usually it's a shell
script that does all the notification/whatever.  I especially
made it this way: this handler meant to be a config file, so
one will be able to code whatever conditions he like, without
being restricted to any particular feature set.  For ones who
know how to do little programming, anything may be done there,
but it's much more difficult for ones who can't write a program.

That all to say: avcheck and drweb-postfix are near the same.

Note also that one who may do some programming is able to modify
drweb-postfix too if there is a need for that (i.e. insufficient
standard features).

/mjt