[rbldnsd] Newbie install question

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Mon Jan 24 21:08:10 MSK 2005

Michael Tokarev wrote:
[...]
> Seriously, "installation procedure" for rbldnsd is really simple --
> one just copies rbldnsd executable and the manpage to any suitable
> place (eg /usr/local/sbin and /usr/local/man/man8), and -- perhaps --
> creates a user to run rbldnsd as (maybe even several).  Every system
> uses its own rules for that stuff (eg, manpages may go to man8/ or
> to man1m/ as on solaris systems).

Quite true, and I do like installing MTAs, web servers, DNS stuff, samba
and a few other things from tarballs, rather than packager systems. But
it's been a year and a half since I had installed rbldnsd and I quite
forgot that I must have done it as you outline above. A short note in a
README or INSTALL file outlining the approach/philosophy would go a long
way towards cleaning up the confusion.

I did say I was missing something obvious :)

David