[rbldnsd] regular expression support for rbldnsd

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Aug 13 01:27:31 MSD 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:
> on Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 01:59:47PM -0700, Scott Haneda wrote:
>> On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:22 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:
>> Are you aware of any other issues with OS X as a deployment
>> target?  I hear
>> smatterings of issues with max open files and max open ports and
>> such,
>> which can be adjusted, but only to a certain point.  It may not
>> even be
>> related, but it did come up on dovecot and I believe postfix.
>
> No, not with deploying rbldnsd; obviously there are the usual
> launchctl
> hiccups to be worked around, fine-tuning the LaunchDaemons file,
> etc. but
> it's been relatively painless. (I could be suppressing some
> nightmare or
> other; it's been a year and a half or so since I did the first
> deploy).

What launchd issues were you having?  I find I can not pass in a long
argument list, and will have to stuff the startup of things in a shell
script, and call that script with launchd, but that is about it.
Heavy logging apps can need some tuning with the log path or your
syslog can get pretty noisy, but other than that, anything you can
remember I should look out for with regard to starting the app?

>> I am not sure this will help you in any way, but it may help to just
>> get it out there... I made a rbldnsd portfile for MacPorts, which
>> makes installing it one command. This software does not update much,
>> so it probably does not help too many.
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/rbldnsd/Portfile
>>
>> However, your patch may be a good idea to include as a variant, which
>> would allow one to add in your patch with `sudo port -d install
>> rbldnsd +regex`
>
> Sounds good! Let me know what I'd need to do, if anything. I'd be
> surprised to see too many big players running it on OS X, but what the
> heck. It's appreciated.

I think I just need to download your files.  The general idea is I
create a sub dir in the ports distro, called files, and put your patch
in there.  I then run a basic condition on the port file, which is
just tcl, which would say if variant == +regex then patch the source
with your code, and build it out as usual, install it in the correct
places, put in the man page.

As soon as I have a spare moment, I will look at how the process
works, but I do not believe that there is anything you need to do.  I
will put a note in the port info container for the variant to point to
you for questions, but that would be it.

Thanks for the dialogue.