[rbldnsd] regular expression support for rbldnsd

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Thu Aug 13 01:58:42 MSD 2009

on Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 02:27:31PM -0700, Scott Haneda wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:
>> No, not with deploying rbldnsd; obviously there are the usual launchctl
>> hiccups to be worked around, fine-tuning the LaunchDaemons file, etc. but
>> it's been relatively painless. (I could be suppressing some nightmare or
>> other; it's been a year and a half or so since I did the first deploy).
>
> What launchd issues were you having?  I find I can not pass in a long
> argument list, and will have to stuff the startup of things in a shell
> script, and call that script with launchd, but that is about it.  Heavy
> logging apps can need some tuning with the log path or your syslog can get
> pretty noisy, but other than that, anything you can remember I should look
> out for with regard to starting the app?

Nah, just overall flakiness. Having to run launchctl load $file over and
over before it works, or before launchctl start com.enemieslist.rbldnsd
or whatever. I am just generally annoyed with launchctl in principle ;)
I'd just figured out how it worked under 10.4 and they changed it in
10.5. *groan*. If you need my plist file, let me know.

>> Sounds good! Let me know what I'd need to do, if anything. I'd be
>> surprised to see too many big players running it on OS X, but what the
>> heck. It's appreciated.
>
> I think I just need to download your files.  The general idea is I create a
> sub dir in the ports distro, called files, and put your patch in there.  I
> then run a basic condition on the port file, which is just tcl, which would
> say if variant == +regex then patch the source with your code, and build it
> out as usual, install it in the correct places, put in the man page.

OK, cool. As I mentioned, there was one issue with the Makefile.in I
had to fix, probably should be able to set it via argument to configure,
but as this wasn't standard autoconf stuff I punted. Let me know if I
can answer any questions; the README should cover everything, but I'm
more than happy to expand on it if need be.

Steve

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/