[Avcheck] Which Kaspersky product should I use with avcheck ?

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:43:26 +0400

Juri Haberland wrote:

[]
> Have a look at http://www.kaspersky.com/products.asp?allproduct=1&fos=3
>
> I'm a bit confused when I look at the prices:
> On the english page it costs US$371.28, on the german page US$560 ...
>
> Actually I'm also wondering whether it would be legal to install the
> workstation version on a mail gateway, as it also contains the daemon...

Looking to the above page, it seems that any of products there
can be used.  I don't know about their "great" tools included in
"Anti-Virus for Sendmail/Qmail/Postfix" (it should be avpkeeper,
which weakeness are already known) and their administration
integration.  Avpcheck will not use all this at all, it needed
only daemon, nothing more.  And I'm afraid that kaspersky tools
are at least hard to use on a more-or-less serious mailserver
(we with Ralf paid some serious attention to minimize possible
impact of it's failures (there was none so far, thanks to you
name it) from bugs in daemon itself that is essential) -- this
is basically why I written avpcheck in a first place and Ralf
written HOWTO for it.

About other confusion -- I can't tell that, it is best to be
asked from avp people.  BTW, $371 for antivirus is rather too
expensive IMHO.  Well, avp is really good virus killer, but
price is still too big.  And wha't interesting is that server
and workstation aren't different from each other in contents,
only in licensing.

Regards,
 Michael