[Avcheck] Sender address revriting for avcheck reports

Michael Tokarev mjt@tls.msk.ru
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:52:10 +0300

Wojciech Wieckowski wrote:

> Hi
>
> I know that my problem isn't strictly related to avcheck but with this
> excellent solution I lost possibility to notify external clients about
> viruses in their messages.
>
> Is it possible to force postfix to set valid for my domain sender address as
> Return-Path?

No.  Postfix will always use empty from address when sending bounces
internally.

> I know that it breaks RFC1123 (5.3.3) rquirements, but this is the only way
> to send such notifications by my provider's relayhost.
> Unfortunately their SMTP server rejects messages with empty MAIL FROM:<>
> fields.
> I'm affraid that I'm not in position to force them to redefine their
> security policies. In fact in my case using external relay host isn't
> mandatory, but very comfortable.

Man, you know, your ISP operates by a very clueless people.  I'd
recommend switching to another ISP (it is usually a bad idea to
educate you isp -- it gives you nothing in return.)

[snip]

Well, you can work around this problem -- you can modify the `infected'
script to force some meaningful return address.  Find all occurences
where it sends a mail and change -f "" into -f some@add.re.ss.  But
please note that virus notifications are like bounces and should use
empty return address.  And you will be unable to send bounces from
your postfix anyway -- "normal" bounces due to delivery problems.