[Avcheck] Total crash when running postfix flush

Tarjei Huse tarjei@nu.no
16 Apr 2003 04:07:49 +0200

Hi,
ok, I refer to the email I sent earlier this week regarding postfix.
What solved it then was moving postfix to a new reiserfs partiton from a
ext3 partiton. Now, the problem reoccured, so I think it might be safe
to say it's not the filesystem.

This time, I worked a bit on first removing the mails in the deferred
queue and then in the active queue. This solved the problem, but I still
do not know what is causing it. I have several theories, that I will
outline below as well as some questions:

1. I found the following in my logs in the time before this happened:
Apr 16 01:28:41 mail postfix/pipe[27799]: A7194B5B:
to=<tips@vartland.no>, relay=avcheck, delay=177833, status=deferred
(temporary failure. Command output: avcheck: unexpected smtp response
(need 250): 501 Bad address syntax )

Is it possible that a message happens to continue staying in the
mailqueue without being sent and that this somehow makes postfix freeze.
I don't think it is likely, but I think it's work keeping in mind.

2. I deleted a file from the deferred queue just before or just after
postfix got hung again. Could this be the cause of the problem? If so,
how?

3. Was there something wrong with one of the mails that was in the
active queue? If so, I exported all mails from the queue with postcat,
what is the best way to remail the messages? I tried incoking postdrop,
but got the error:
#postdrop < filename
queue_id1960C1FC0postdrop: fatal: uid=0: unexpected record type: 43

I've got the server up again now, and I hope it stays up for some time
but I would be very happy for any suggestions/answers to the questions
above.

Yours truly
Tarjei Huse