[rbldnsd] Newbie install question

James Parker jparker at furryball.org
Mon Jan 24 21:06:47 MSK 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Tokarev" <mjt at tls.msk.ru>
To: "Small Daemon for DNSBLs" <rbldnsd at corpit.ru>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [rbldnsd] Newbie install question

> > Did I miss some configure options? I look through the email list
archives and found one that pointed to a web page, but the web page is no
longer there.

> Which web page you're talking about?

The web Page link I found was http://njabl.org/rsync.html
I know how anoying newbie questions can be, but I just thought I was missing
something right in front of my face.

> Seriously, "installation procedure" for rbldnsd is really simple --
> one just copies rbldnsd executable and the manpage to any suitable
> place (eg /usr/local/sbin and /usr/local/man/man8), and -- perhaps --
> creates a user to run rbldnsd as (maybe even several).  Every system
> uses its own rules for that stuff (eg, manpages may go to man8/ or
> to man1m/ as on solaris systems).

I to like to know where everything is on my system hence the install from
source.
But not knowing enough about what needed to be put where I just thought
maybe I was missing the obvious, happens to me all the time. Thanks for
pointing me in the right direction.

> That all to say: in my opinion, it is best to use system-provided
> packages for all the software you install, OR to figure out how
> to roll your own procedures, so that you will know what is your
> system about, even for such a trivial things like rbldnsd.  And
> this stuff is really trivial -- sorry to say that, but I'm afraid
> you will be asking many other questions about DNS setup and other
> stuff.... ;)

More than likely I will:) Thanks again
jp